Monday 5 May 2014

Oh, the Weather Outside is Frightful!

Hello all! As I write this, it is the 25th April and I am preparing for a trip to Scotland, so this post comes to you from the past! :)

I have begun adding the snow to the bases of my miniatures, and as of today, I have three units done! I am really, really pleased with how the snow is turning out. The snow flock that GW produces, when used out of the box just looks like white grass, which is an easy way to ruin the hard work that has gone into creating your miniatures. Realistic snow is one of the harder effects to create on a base, and I tried several different methods and mixtures before settling on the one I use. If there is sufficient interest, I might create a tutorial.

I wanted to create snow that is just starting to melt to add a little narrative to my army. The idea is that as soon as the snow starts to melt into spring, the warriors of the north descend onto the soft lands of the south. They are definitely the most involved bases I have ever done. Onto the pictures! :)

As the first unit to be fully painted, these guys had the honour of being the first to have snow.
I had initially planned to add blood to the snow, but I think it might be a bit too much. I think the way the snow has gathered together in some places, and is a bit shallower in others adds enough variety to the base.
I'm really chuffed with how these guys have turned out!
A nice close up of the snow :)
And hello from Scotland! :)
So, that's all for now! :) I will be back in plenty of time for my next post, and should hopefully have a finished unit of five Chaos Knights to show off :)

Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment